SSAA OR HUNTING CLUB MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED BY ALL HUNTERS
Coolabah is a small village in western New South Wales, Australia - between Nyngan and Bourke. Located 76 km north of Nyngan and 656 km north-west of Sydney.
The railway, its prime reason for existence, opened in 1884 and closed in the 1980s. The first building in Coolabah was, appropriately, the Railway Station which still stands a forlorn reminder of the promises that the rail offered to outback areas in the late nineteenth century.
Shortly after the Railway Station was completed a merchant named Charles Werner, who subsequently became a wealthy and prominent member of the community, built the 'Three Legs O' Man' Hotel.
Cobb and Co coaches brought passengers to the railway junction and changed horses at the hotel's stables. passengers to the railway junction and changed horses at the hotel's stables.
The town slowly grew and, at its peak, it had a population of 300 people. Today there are fewer than 30. It's one claim to fame is that, due to a lack of reliable water, it once boasted the largest well in Australia. An extraordinary structure measuring 30.8 metres across and 13.9 metres deep. The well operated as the town's major water supply.
The town took its name from a nearby property called 'Coolabah' which had been named after the coolibah trees which grew in abundance in the area.