How to keep yourself and others safe
Always follow the top ten basic rules
- Treat every firearm as loaded
- Always point firearms in a safe direction
- Load a firearm only when ready to fire
- Identify your target beyond all doubt
- Check your firing zone
- Store firearms and ammunition safely
- Never mix alcohol or drugs when handling firearms
- Never have loaded firearms in the car, home or camp
- Never fire at hard surfaces or water
- Do not climb fences or obstacles with loaded firearms.
Never shoot or fire at:
Movement only; colour only; sound only; shape only; a target on the skyline; and when companions are ahead of you.
Always observe the following safety gidelines
- Be aware that others may be in the same area. (A bullet can easily travel <1Km)
- Make sure there is nothing obstructing the barrel of your firearm before you fire.
- Completely unload before you leave the shooting area and never leave your firearm loaded.
- Unload your firearm before crossing a fence.
- Walk through a stream while carrying firearms rather than jumping or crossing on rocks.
- Always stay focussed when around firearms - no daydreaming !
- Give advice on safety if you see any careless or unsafe behaviour with firearms. Irresponsible use of firearms causes injuries and deaths.
- Have your firearm checked periodically by a gunsmith who knows about the firearm you own.
- The wearing of blaze orange when hunting is highly recommended. (Prey are colour blind and cannot distinguish)