What Can You Hunt in Australia?
Do you need an R Licence to hunt on Private Property?
It is your sole responsibility to license yourself relevant to the laws of each individual state. Here is a brief outline for New South Wales.
The information listed below is subject to change without notice and we will not be held responsible for any misunderstandings.
For up to date information, contact the relevant department in your state.
As per the Game and Feral Animal Control Act 2002 No 64 (NSW) - Section 5, Part 2
A game hunting license is not required for hunting the animals listed in this Part (2) on private land,
and accordingly is only required if the animals are living in the wild on public land
Non-indigenous Animals you can Hunt
- Dog (other than dingo)
- Common Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
- Common or Indian Myna (Acridotheres tristis)
- Feral Pigeon (Columba livia)
A General or Restricted type Game Hunting Licence is required to hunt the following animals.
Non-indigenous Game Animals Requiring Hunting Licence
- Bobwhite Quail (Colinus virginianus)
- California Quail (Lophortyx callipepla californicus)
- Guinea Fowl (Numida meleagris)
- Partridge (Alectors alectoris chukar)
- Peafowl (Pavo cristatus)
- Pheasant (Phasiniacus phasianus colchicus)
- Spotted Dove (Streptopelia chinensis)
- Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo)
Other Hunting Animals
- Deer (Family cervidae)
Native Game Birds Requiring a Hunting Licence
- Australian Shelduck or Mountain Duck (Tadorna tadornoides)
- Australian Wood Duck or Maned Duck (Chenonetta jubata)
- Black Duck or Pacific Black Duck (Anas superciliosa)
- Blue-winged Shoveler or Australasian Shoveler (Anas rhynchotis)
- Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea)
- Grass Whistling Duck or Plumed Whistling Duck (Dendrocygna eytoni)
- Grey Teal (Anas gibberifrons)
- Hardhead Duck or White-eyed Duck (Aythya australis)
- Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus)
- Water Whistling Duck, Wandering Whistling Duck or Whistling or Wandering Tree Duck (Dendrocygna arcuata)
- Brown Quail (Coturnix ypsilophora)
- Stubble Quail (Coturnix pectoralis)
- Common Bronzewing Pigeon (Phaps chalcoptera)
- Crested Pigeon (Ocyphaps lophotes)
Game Licenses are the responsibility of the hunters where needed for specific game. If in doubt, please contact the DPI in your state.